Thursday, July 30, 2009

Tomatoes at the Roofline



So, my tomatoes keep growing taller. I've already expanded my staking system once - you may remember that I had to exchange my 5 ft stakes in the Ultomato staking kit for 6 ft stakes. Now my plants are reaching 7 ft, so I ended up adding an extension to the top. Sungold tomato is the tallest with Brandywine not far behind.

I used zip-ties to attach a thinner stake to the ones already in place.


Then I added side supports with this soft wire.


Now the plants can climb up to the roof!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice job, your garden is doing very well!

Kenneth Moore said...

Holy heck! I like your support system--I just have twine staple-gunned to my ceiling, dangling down and tied to my tomato vines. I keep my Cherokee Purple trimmed to 7 feet--otherwise, he'd bend over the ceiling and be ridiculous. I kind of wish I had a balcony...

Stacey said...

Thanks! Yes, it's a challenge to keep up with Sungold - pretty soon I'm going to have to come up with something else to keep it supported. I might attach it to the roof. I don't want to trim it since it's fun to see how tall it will get! And I don't want to miss out on any tomatoes.