Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Wild Turkeys on the Lawn



I was sitting out on the deck this evening with my computer, looking up vegetable gardening tips, when I glanced up for a second and saw this...a wild mother turkey with two little turkey babies.  In my backyard!  Yes, we do have a few trees in the yard, and there is an empty lot nearby that is very natural, but wow!  Apparently, wild turkey in Michigan have been increasing in number over the years after a successful reintroduction program.  They had disappeared from the state due to over-hunting and habitat loss in the early 1900s.  Now they are showing up more often in backyards and suburban areas.  They also have exceptional hearing and eyesight, and can run 15-18 mph, and fly up to 55 mph!  However, when they saw me they just started walking a tiny bit faster toward the empty lot.  I hope to see them again soon!

No comments: