Saturday, June 20, 2009

Marigold "Special Forces"





An operation to deter the movement of aphids and other insect pests into my backyard territory began with the planting of French marigolds.  These strong smelling flowers are supposed to prevent pests from attacking tomatoes, eggplant, and other crops.  Although it is difficult to find really accurate information as to whether this is truly beneficial, marigolds have been used as companion plants to vegetables throughout history.  The stronger smelling varieties are said to work the best, and it seems that they should be planted quite liberally throughout the garden.  I decided to add a few to my pots in the hopes that I won't get aphids.  Plus, they look so cheerful and cute mixed in with my vegetables!  I planted Safari Yellow and Safari Mix which are varieties of French Dwarf Marigolds.  They are also on the short side (8-10" tall) which will work better in a container.

No comments: